Friday, July 26, 2024

February 25, 2024 - 2LentB - Why the Cross?

2LentB
February 25, 2024

Suffering. Rejection. Deny. Take up your cross. Lose life


This Gospel reading is heavy. 

It is Lent, So I’m thinking we are ready;)

 

A while ago I was at a workshop

For three days we reflected on three different questions

Why…Why did it take the Incarnation to save us?

Why did it take the cross/crucifixion?

Why did it take the resurrection?

 

These are really fundamental questions

But it seems to me that we often

kinda just glide over them 

with vague churchy language

 

I’m not the sort

Who is immediately impressed by the guy selling pillows on TV, or the beautiful newscasters who wear crosses front and center…


It seems too cheap…too easy

I need more…

I need more from myself.

As fundamental as these questions are 

I found that I hadn’t given them much attention

I really hadn’t made them real

 

Today…Our Gospel reading is about as direct as it gets in asking us to:

Deal! Deal with the Cross…

what does it mean to me…to us

and how does it, somehow, give shape to the way we live out our faith


And because after 2000 years we are still wrestling with this question

It isn’t about THE ONE AND ONLY CORRECT answer

…it’s an over and over again invitation to ponder 

 

[TEXT]

Today’s Gospel reading from Mark 

is asking us to DEAL

WHY the Cross?

 

The lectionary has jumped forward a bit

And here we are in Chapter 8 
Chapters 1-7 Jesus is healing right and left

He is alleviating any and all suffering

Placed before him

 

But here…in Chapter 8…we have a pivot point.

 

“THEN. Then he began to teach them”

That first word THEN

indicates that what follows has something to do with what came before

 

Just before today’s text, Peter has answered the question 
“Who do you say that I am?”

And he (at least on the surface) gets it right…but even as he gets it right TECHNICALLY

He gets it very wrong.

You are the Christ!

Well…yes…but not the kind you have in your head.

And so THEN…

 

“THEN he began to teach them.”

 

It’s kinda like show and tell

7 chapters of showing

And now some TELLING

 

“THEN he began to teach them.”

 

One thing we can say for certain

For 7 chapters…with all that healing and alleviating suffering right and left.

we can be sure that

Deny

Taking up your cross

Lose your life

Isn’t about looking for suffering…or somehow glorifying suffering.

JESUS does not want more victims!

 

SO…How do we think about Denying oneself?

 

The word translated LIFE

Is something like how we use the word SELF

For us moderns, selfhood is the sum of everything I am

MY past experiences, my accomplishments, my traumas…it’s very individualized

So when I hear “deny myself” 

I hear something like “that means that I can’t do what I want to do?”

 

Selfhood…or identity in the ancient world

Wasn’t something “I” construct
It’s given to me by my birth, my tribe, my trade…just the whole web of my world.

 

Denying in the ancient world would have a sense of losing one’s identity

Like breaking apart that web

 

Using words that might work for us today

Jesus might be saying to us:
“separate yourself from the things that PURPORT/PRETEND to make you who you are” 

 

We know what that means…my career, my health and vitality, the fact that I can run 5 miles a day, --- just fill in the blank
Separate…not get rid of…Just remember believe that these are  NOT your identity.

SEPARATE, why?

…to make room for a new belonging and a new identity

 

We are here 

In our prayers and creeds and petitions

We confess our belonging to Christ

Christ crucified

 

But what does that mean?

 

I think there are as many ways of expressing the answer to that question as there are Christians who ponder it.

 

Obviously I’ve had a head start;)

But here is mine.

However incomplete 

 

The cross is where God was willing to go

The place where God could say NO

Not with words but by way of Jesus’ actions…

Or better yet…actions done to Jesus. 

Actions so vivid and in your face that we humans couldn’t miss it

In the crucifixion

God says:  NO…absolutely NOT

I’m not playing your game

NO…the word is NO…to the never-ending cycle of revenge and violence 

that you humans seem to think is the answer

 

On the cross God says NO to the over and over again cycle of winners and losers.

 

I won’t participate in victory parades arising out of that!

 

DO NOT EVER do THIS in my name!

[and later at the Last Supper I gave you another THIS…wash feet, share a meal…now that you can do in my name]

 

But NO not this…Not EVER!

 

But there is a promise in the text as well:

8:35 those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.

 

So we lose our lives/our selves by separating ourselves from those things that purport/pretend to make us who we are SO THAT we can become grounded in Christ.


And this LIFE we are talking about isn’t individualistic.
And that means that just as my SELF/my LIFE is constituted corporately…communally

SO TOO…is the SAVING

I don’t go it alone.

We don’t go it alone.

 

Okay…so we can relax a bit knowing that we don’t have to take on the world by ourselves.

 

But still…The business of Jesus

The business of Messiah-ship

Is the business of turning (the tense is important) 

…turning the world “right-side-up”

that is the role of a messiah…

 

Still…We have to live with the fact that it is VERY. SLOW. GOING!

 

Its true, right?
THUGS/Dictators/ Liars and Cheats seem to win more than their fair share of the fights! 

 

Into this complaint, Jesus, THE GOSPEL

Is reminding us that there is no other way

The other way…the way of force

Just makes us into new Romans, new Thugs, new oppressors.

 

Losing my life

Means disentagling my life from all that I think makes me me

My job, my education, my family, accomplishments…

And subjecting it all to my life, my identity, in Christ

 

And…my life in Christ means that I continue to be drawn into a parade

I am being drawn into an ongoing, 2,000 year old parade

Not a victory parade

But a peace parade

A justice parade

A cross-bearing parade that many will call 

naïve, immature, snowflakey, gun-hating, kumbaya

 

And that’s okay

Because it’s not a victory parade yet

We are living in the mean-time

In the middle of a story about our God 

who raises people from the dead!

 

And, my friends, we have all glimpsed just enough of a right-side-up world 

To keep parading

 

We parade to the food pantry

We parade to the ballot boxes

We parade to visit a grieving neighbor

We parade to this church for the company we so desperately need
on Sundays and sometimes carrying a large pot of soup

 

We sing in the parade too

If its not always a HAPPY parade

It is a joy-filled one

Joy-filled 

Because we are propped up by an immense fellowship

Of the living and the dead

 

And parade

Inch by inch

Decision by decision

Loving choice by loving choice

As we contribute to the 

slow bending [To paraphrase Martin Luther King Jr]

of the arc of the moral universe towards justice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment