Thursday, June 23, 2016

Wobbly?

Thursday of Week 12 in Ordinary Time
Matthew 7:21-29

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the Kingdom

Then there is this defensiveness on the part of Jesus’ disciples.  Three times: Did we not prophesy/drive out demons/mighty deeds in your name?  (I’m thinking that they whispered the ‘in your name part’;)

Be attentive to the saying and the doing.

Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them
will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 
The rain fell, the floods came,
and the winds blew and buffeted the house. 
But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.

I am wondering if I pay enough attention to the elements that make up my foundationmy ‘footings’ if you will.  Rob and I have been beset with one upkeep job after another at our home.  The jobs have been foundationalliterally having to do with the foundation of our home.  Significant dollars on stuff no one will see.  It just isn’t sexy.  I can’t show it off to my friendscome over I want to show you how I filled in the holes where the groundhogs have been nesting, which led to work on the unseen footingswhich somehow led to gutter and drainage repair.

But being wobbly is no way to live.  A strong foundation, well kept and tended, makes all of our ‘saying and doing and listening and acting’ well founded and directed toward a vision far grander than I might imagine.

I know wobbly
And I know grounded
May I be attentive enough to head off the former

As I cultivate the latter

No comments:

Post a Comment