Thursday, August 17, 2017

Authentic Authority

Thursday of Week 19 in Ordinary Time
Joshua 3:7-17


The story continues.  Yesterday Moses is shown the Promised Land knowing he will not enter before he dies.  Today we hear about Joshua, about how the community of Israel sees in him an authority…a vocation to lead in the line of Moses.  There is continuity.  The promise continues to unfold but not without a grueling 40 years!

It is a complex phenomenon, to give over to someone the authority to lead.  Authority presumed or taken is suspect.  It isn’t authority at all unless ratified.

Who do I give authority to and why?  It is easiest to give to someone who isn’t looking for it.  I give authority to those I really listen to.  My listening implies that I want to be changed by the life and words of this person.  When I give over authority to someone ‘in authority’, I first sit, treasuring my role as ratifier. 

I take my time.  I sit.  Are you for real?  Is your word coming from deep in your bones?  Is your faith sometimes not perfectly neat and tidy?  Are you all answers or do you burst with pondering questions?  Who are you?

Just as Israel listened for the authority of new vocations
So for me…May I be a generous listener


No comments:

Post a Comment