Wednesday, May 30, 2018

location, location, location

Wednesday of Week 8 in Ordinary Time
Mark 10:32-45


“Grant that in your Glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left.” (sigh)

This is one of those passages that makes me laugh when I hear it.
James and John are cartoonish.  And I can see Peter and the others coming up behind them and whacking them upside the head:  Tell me you didn’t just say that! 

But then it moves so gently.  Authority has a tendency to corrupt.  Jesus invites the disciples into his vision: “You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones make their authority over them felt.  But it shall not be so among you.”

When and where am I granted authority?
Do I make sure it is knownfelt?
I think most of us doit sets up distinctions and somehow distinctions make us feel secure.

This is one of those passages that is so very clear.
It gets to the heart of things.
Almost sounds crazy.
So hard.

It shall not be so among you
It shall not be so among you
Be servant
Be slave
Give life



No comments:

Post a Comment