Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easter Tuesday - "What shall we do?"

Coming after yesterdays reading of Peter's impassioned Pentecost sermon…and following Acts 2:36 "Therefore let the whole House of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified!" we hear a "now what" question:  What shall we do? (2:37)

The answer according to Acts has something to do with repenting, forgiving, receiving, witnessing saving, accepting, sharing, breaking, and praising.

But the portrait painted in Acts is about the power of a remnant people.  Those nine activities listed are possible only in the context of an encounter of giving and receiving.  To "do" these things today means that I enter the drama and play whatever part bids me "Come."  I Come...not in my own name but in the name of the one who gathers and makes a people whole. Come…and let's see what happens.

Today is the day the Lord has made…what will I do with it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment