Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Need a Spit Shine?

Mark 8:22-26
His sight was restored
And he could see everything distinctly



When I was young
My Dad had a careful routine surrounding
Polishing his shoes

There was the old shoebox
The cloth
The tins of polish in brown and black
And all shades in between
Finally, was the brush

He would wrap the cloth around a fingertip
Dab it in the polish
Put his left hand in the shoe to mold it firm
And buff with intense pressure
In circles
Dab again
Rub again
Dab again
Rub again

And then he would hold the shoe
at arms length
and observe his work
Tilting it from side to side

A few more dabs and rubs
Another observation

Then my favorite part
The buffing
He would take the brush
And as if the brush were a fighter jet
He rhythmically swooped that brush down and across the shoe
Swooping up and down
With swiftness
And at differing angles
…as his left hand
moved the target strategically

Oh yeah…and he periodically spit on the shoe as he did so

Jesus heals the blind man in today’s gospel with spittle.  And the healing happens in stages (the scholars make much of that)

As I read the text
I thought of my Dad’s shoe shining ritual

In the Gospels, healings happen
And they are once and done
That is what narratives capture
But as for me
The ritual needs repeating
Like shoe-shining

Dulling happens

I don’t usually notice
The gradual blurry-ing
But when thanksgiving wells up inside
I know that I have been healed once again

The sacramental life
With its rhythm
And predictability
Works on me like the
contents of that shoe box

in my Dad’s careful hands

No comments:

Post a Comment