Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Unpopular Warnings

Tuesday of Week 15 in Ordinary Time
Saint Camillus of Lellis
Matthew 11:20-24


Jesus’ miracles should have been the occasion for the hearers’ metanoiapromptings for repentance.  Matthew’s theme of rejection is building.

Failure to respond correctlythat is the judgment against the Galilean cities.

Oh how hard it is for me to remember that it is left to God to judge the Gospel’s opponents.  Humility and repentance.  Not arrogance and getting even.  But when I don’t forget, I hear instead the reminder to scrutinize my own life for failures to respond correctly.

This text is a warning.  I ought to welcome such warningsbut sometimes I catch myself poo-pooing them.  Arrogance comes so easily.

And to all my Preacher friends regarding Saint Camillus:
He was born in Italy of a noble family. He became a soldier but his taste for gambling and riotous living eventually lost him everything. At age 25 HE CONVERTED AS THE RESULT OF HEARING A SERMON!!!  
(from Universalis ‘About Today’emphasis mine;)


No comments:

Post a Comment