Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ready or Not*

Ash Wednesday
Joel 2:12-18
Psalm 51
(homily preached at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 
New Harmony, Indiana)


Ready...
or not???
Lent is here

Now, not just because it happens to be Valentines Day today
(Think rend your hearts Joel 2:13, 
and create in me a clean heart O God Psalm 51:10)
---it’s the HEART that is on my mind
Not head, I know what that means. 
Not gut, I know what that means
But when I put my hands gently on my heart---it means the whole of me, the essential me.

I'd like, this Lent
To join the psalmist’s plea
Create in me a clean heart, O God

Like kitchen floors
One day of attention won’t cut it.

Our liturgy is packed with
sights and sounds and symbols
That move us toward contrition
Toward an honest recognition of our sinfulness
But always…always…always
We recall our sin
Convinced…utterly convinced...
of God’s boundless mercy
...steadfast and always on offer

We must never bring our scarcity thinking
with us to worship
God’s mercy always comes first
There is no limited supply
God won’t ever run out 

Calling to mind our sin
Is not as easy as it sounds
In a few minutes
when I drop to my knees in prayer
And Dr. Beth leads us in the
Litany of Penitence
I know my mind will wander
I’ll be quick to call to mind my hypocrite neighbor
…who, everyone knows, really needs that prayer

And isn’t that how blindness works?
I need help to see what I can’t see
I need your help
And so praying together…
in support of each other
We jump start our Lent

We hear in the Invitation to a Holy Lent
a call to ‘make a right beginning’
…a beginning
We will leave here having only just begun
to cultivate a daily practice of contrition
to cultivate reconciliation as a style of life

I have this one stanza from an Auden poem taped onto my office wall:
The nightingales are sobbing
in the orchards of our mothers
And hearts that we broke long ago
Have long been breaking others.

It paints a picture for me
Of how deadly un-forgiven-ness can be…
All it takes is my inattention
and it will go on breaking hearts

With God always on the ready
The choice really is ours:

1) We can walk through our lives
Carrying all that un-forgiven-ness with us
On our faces
And in our voices…
showing up in the words we choose…
constricting our bodies
We can hold on to that un-forgiven-ness 
and let it make a nice home in us

OR…OR...

We can follow the Church’s lead
And having worked through
Our sinfulness…
Having come clean...
Having placed ourselves openly and honestly before God...
Having cultivated a habit of contrition...
And having chipped away at all that keeps us from accepting the forgiveness of God

Having done all that…
We can walk through our lives
carrying with us something quite different

The evidence will be compelling and conclusive…
On our faces
And in our voices…
showing up in the words we choose…
and in the freedom of our bodies
Having cooperated with God's grace
We can walk through our lives
carrying instead the fruit of forgiveness
which is…SHALOM…PEACE

And it will be obvious that this SHALOM
Is not of our own making
It will point back to its source in God

With God always on the ready
The choice really is ours

The liturgical years is always giving us beginnings
This is another beginning
in the company of each other
we are absolved and fed
And we will leave here…sent to practice
That perennial rhythm of the Christian life
a rhythm that over and over again leads us 
From sin to grace
From blindness to sight
From death to resurrection

and in our practicing
God WILL 
over and over again
without getting tired
re-create our hearts
Clean and full of Shalom

Thanks be to God



No comments:

Post a Comment