Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wanting More

Wednesday of the 26th week of Ordinary Time
Job 9:1-12, 14-16

We are in Job this week. 

Today it sounds like Job is singing a hymn to God’s Unapproachability.  God is all-wise, moves mountains, commands the sun, stretches out the heavens, etc. 

All Job wants is his day in court.  He wants answers.  His friends have answers and they all fit into a worldview where good folks are not punished.  Job is good.  Things aren’t computing.  Job isn’t satisfied.   He wants more. 

The innocent suffer and are blessed.  The guilty suffer and are blessed. In Christ, God is subject to human suffering…innocent suffering.  Death and resurrection go together.   ‘Why me?’ is still on my lips...about blessings AND curses.  How long it stays there is up to me. 

This is what I know:  The people I most want to be like don’t spend a lot of time and energy with this question.  They seem to just get it.  That’s all I have today…Sorry Job:(


No comments:

Post a Comment