Sunday, November 13, 2016

Anchored in the Shallow End

33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
Luke 21:5-19

A few  points:
·     - Luke is writing after the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple so he is interpreting it not predicting it.  Interpretation = Don’t put your faith, hope, and trust in things made of stonethings that perish.
·     - Apocalyptic literary devices were more familiar to Luke’s audience than “A Rabbi, a Priest, and a Minister walk into a bar” is to us.  The goal of such literature is hope and reassurance.
·      -The evidence suggests that wars, famines and earthquakes are nothing newthey seem to roll around with some regularity.  And those who try to find someone to blame, and they are usually self-righteous false prophets claiming to come in Christ’s name, fizzle and fade quickly.

So what do we make of this text?  

Even in the midst of the most burdensome trials, we are never alone.  And somehow there is even a privileged place when one finds oneself ever near “persecution for the sake of his name.”  I have to qualify that statement right away!!!  Martyrdom is NEVER sought!  Just google the Montanist heresy.  But some are called and I hope I am not one of them.  I imagine that everyone who takes baptismal life seriously will find themselves in situations that call for an unwelcome word from time to time.  And to the extent that that word is informed by my Christian vocation, I will be able to count on the support of “words and wisdom” from the Holy Spirit who accompanies me.  

The challenge for me today is, do I notice these times?  Do I let them pass saying to myself, “there will be another opportunity soon enough?”  In the context of my calm life, it is easy to miss the subtle.  No one is going to put me in jail or torture me for my faith, though that is alive and well in many places.  What are the confrontations that come my way for MY benefitconfrontations that call for my prayerful theological reflection, a reflection meant to deepen my discipleship?  Do I let myself be confronted? 

The accumulation of missed opportunities keep me anchored in the shallow end.  I must be afraid of the deep.



5 When some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones and gifts dedicated to God, he said, 6 "As for these things that you see, the days will come when not one stone will be left upon another; all will be thrown down." 7 They asked him, "Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign that this is about to take place?" 8 And he said, "Beware that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name and say, "I am he!' and, "The time is near!' Do not go after them. 9 "When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for these things must take place first, but the end will not follow immediately." 10 Then he said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; 11 there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and plagues; and there will be dreadful portents and great signs from heaven. 12 "But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name. 13 This will give you an opportunity to testify. 14 So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance; 15 for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. 17 You will be hated by all because of my name. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish. 19 By your endurance you will gain your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment