Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Patron Saint of the Big Bang

Feast of St Albert the Great, Bishop, Doctor (1206-1280)
Patron Saint of Scientists



Reading up on St. Albert, I learn that he had a keen interest in science and astronomy at a time of intellectual blossoming.  With the great catholic principle that “grace builds on nature” there is nothing the mind can contemplate that can’t be put in the service of theology…faith seeking understanding. 

My seventeen-year-old son came running into the kitchen the other night all on fire about a podcast about string theory, quantum mechanics, and dark matter…at least that is what I think it was about.  His mind had to reach and stretch…taking him to the edge of mystery.  He seemed exhausted by the effort, exhilarated too.  The curious person’s hunger for understanding is temporarily filled.  But it always returns!  It is a ‘religious’ experience in that it touches the mystery of ultimate things.

Religious contemplation and questioning bring about the same dynamic.  The mystery is ‘endlessly understandable’ but we never quite arrive there. To be human is to keep at it.

Stir up in me that ‘bring it on’ attitude 
toward the mystery in front of me

Make me a little bit more like both 
my twelfth  grade science geek 
and St. Albert, the diligent scholar!

No comments:

Post a Comment