Monday, June 26, 2017

By the Gallon

Monday of Week 12 in Ordinary Time
Matthew 7:1-5


This is a familiar passage with a familiar question:
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the beam in you own eye?  You hypocrite!

So focused on the splinter and beam I hadn’t paid much attention to the previous bit “the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.”

In my preaching classes the perennial challenge is to go deeper. Dig into the mystery and find a truth that has real power to liberate and bring life.  Digging only a teaspoon deep will yield only a teaspoon of life and liberation.

I wonder if I give myself an out but doling out love, attention, and compassion by the teaspoon…and making up for the lack of depth by sheer frequency?  If I graduate to the tablespoon, the cup, the pint, quart or gallon will it ask of me something too intimate, too vulnerable?  And then if I do, the gospel says, I will get it back in return!  At first that sounds like a real bonus…but do I want it? 

I figure that is the point.  It is my life’s task to desire it.  But along this road I have to drop a few other desires…a tablespoon here, a cup there…making room. 

God is love and love is goodness giving itself away. 
Edith Stein aka St. Teresia Benedicta of the Cross


And I suppose by the gallon wouldn't be a bad measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment