Sunday, June 4, 2017

Come Holy Spirit

The Feast of Pentecost
Acts 2:1-11
Psalm 104
1 Corinthians 12:3b-7, 12-13
The Sequence
John 20:19-23



COME
Come, come closer, be near to me
Come…I must ask out loud
because I don’t possess you
At times I may think I do
But sure enough that is a sure sign that it is NOT you
If we are to be close
It will be the other way around
You will possess me

HOLY SPIRIT
Paraclete
Lawyer for the defense
Advocate
Guide
Consoler
Or to steal the words of the Pentecost Sequence:
Greatest comforter,
sweet guest of the soul,
sweet consolation.
In labour, rest,
in heat, temperance,
in tears, solace.

FILL
That is what strong driving winds do
They fill
Push through to all the nooks and crannies
I’ve been working at clearing the space
Come…fill it all up

THE HEARTS
Bend the stubborn heart and will
The heart of the matter
That is where acts of the will begin
Heal
Strengthen
Soften
Wash
Melt what is frozen
Warm what is chilled
Guide what wanders aimlessly

OF YOUR FAITHFUL
May I manifest the fruits
Love
Joy
Patience
Kindness
Generosity
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-Control
And in my questioning
May I discern fruitfulness
With these as my barometer
Does that interest
make me a more generous person?
Does speaking that way
add to the Gentleness of the world around me?
Does that habit
exhibit self-control such that life is ordered to love?

Always harder than it sounds…


Come Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful
and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created.
And You shall renew the face of the earth



No comments:

Post a Comment