Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Weight of a Day

Tuesday of the 29th Week in Ordinary Time
Luke 12:35-38



Luke reminds us that there is always a horizon for the Christian.  History is going somewhere.  There is a caution:  Be ready!  Be attentive!

But that horizon is not only temporal.  If it were, then the everydayness of life would lack weight.  God’s judgment is also existential.  With attentiveness, we humans glimpse the horizon at every turn.  The paradigmatic glimpse is Jesus at the last supper: 
I am among you as the one who serves. (22:27)
Attend to imitating that.

Simone Weil said “Attention is a form of prayer.” 

What will I let focus my attention today?
Will it be that horizon of promise?
I hope so. 
My days are so much more hope filled when I grant them the weightiness they are due.


No comments:

Post a Comment