Saturday, October 21, 2017

Universal Falling

Saturday of the 28th Week in Ordinary Time
Luke 12:8-12
Do not worry about how or what your defense will be…
for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that moment


I had a professor once who straight up laughed at me…he laughed at how upset I was about the trouble I was having grasping what I was supposed to be learning in the course.  I was upset in week three.  What he saw and what I now see is that I wanted to be a master BEFORE I began my learning!  I wanted to know ahead of time that I would succeed…right out of the starting gate!  That worry speaks to my fear of failure or perhaps my desire to never be ill at ease.  I like being on the proficient side of the room.

I am thinking that today’s Gospel text urges the disciple to remember that whole ‘coming in the name of the one who sent me’ business.  I want to come in my own name.  And I want that name to be full of honor and praise.  The ego is so very powerful and it exerts its force…like gravity…without my notice!  

It takes a pretty sure faith and hope to relax into God.  To trust.  I am reminded of Fall*, a Rilke poem I scribbled with a Sharpie on my laundry room wall:

The leaves are falling
Falling as from far
As though above were withering farthest gardens
They fall with a denying attitude

And night by night down into solitude
The heavy earth falls from every star

We are all falling
This hand’s falling too
We all have this falling sickness
None withstanding

And yet
There’s One
Whose gently holding hands
This universal falling
Can’t fall through


*This poem has many various translations from the German.  I couldn’t find the translator of this version.  I scribbled it from an audio-listening many years ago…it is my favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment