Monday, August 2, 2021

An Artful Balance


Monday of Week 18 in Ordinary Time 
Matthew 14:13-21


So we are in the midst of five weeks of John's Bread of Life discourse these Sundays and today we have Matthew's version of the feeding of the 5K. It is fun to notice the differences...but not today.

The text starts out with Jesus, after hearing about the death of John the Baptist, withdrawing to a deserted place to find solitude. We don't know if he had his fill of the quiet he needed. The crowds were on his heels.

I have been pondering "nourishment" 

There is a recipe for each of us that balances solitude and community in such a way real and complete nourishment is the outcome.

I need time to be alone.
This is the time where I connect with the meaning of my activity.
Why am I doing what I am doing?
Is what I am doing part of the recipe that I hope will help unfold me into becoming the "me" I long to be...the "me" that is in synch with the hope God has for my life?

I tend to miscalculate my need for solitude.
I forget that it is not optional.
I feel guilty for the opportunity.
I must do! Doing must be more important.

Solitude
It is not optional
It is not a luxury
It is essential
I MUST pause

"One does not live on bread alone" MT 4:4


No comments:

Post a Comment