Monday, March 27, 2017

Prior to Praising

Monday of the 4th Week of Lent
Psalm 30 
(paul inwood composition of the psalm)


I will praise you Lord
You have rescued me
I will praise you Lord…for your Mercy
I will praise you Lord
You have rescued me
I. Will. Praise. You. Lord.

There is something about this musical setting of Psalm 30
There is something about the music
That conveys the repetitive and predictive nature of the subject

I don’t mean the praising
And I don’t mean the Mercy that gives cause for the praise

It is still Lent
So I’m thinking about all that keeps giving cause for the Mercy…

I keep needing rescue!

One of the things the Psalm speaks to is this
Going down
Going down into the pit
…What are my pits?

Lately, for me, it has been the temptation to cynicism and a kind of chic despair
The Holy Spirit
Working through spittle and clay
Through neighbors and friends
Through sickness and health
Through infants and great grand parents
Through mountains, beaches, and waves
Through it all
God relentlessly works to rescue me from myself

On the bright side
If I keep needing rescue
That does mean that I keep getting rescued

Maybe I am getting good at being rescued
Maybe ready to be on the ‘rescuing’ end of things…surely;)

No comments:

Post a Comment