Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tirade Time

Tuesday of the 2nd Week of Lent
Isaiah 1:10, 16-20
Matthew 23:1-12


Jesus on a tirade…chapter 23 is it!
The whole of chapter gets the passion…no ‘sweet Jesus’ here!

We have the first part…the cautionary tale. 
Those Hypocrite-Scribes & Pharisees, they have the right words
but let me tell you about all their wrong-headed deeds.
They…they..they…
And then
As for you…

The tirade really heats up after today’s pericope ends.
Three sharp “Woe to you” daggers

I’m hearing a remedy from Isaiah…a little preventative medicine

Reading the verbs:
Hear (God)
Listen (to God)
Wash
Put Away
Cease Doing
Learn
Redress
Hear (the Orphan)
Defend (the Widow)

Jesus’ tirade is addressed to me 
I best not place myself in a convenient spot away from his gaze

But redress is possible
It is always possible
Prayer (hearing & listening) is the starting point

Collect:
Guard us
We pray
In your unceasing mercy
Because without you
We are sure to fall
Keep us
Direct us to all that brings salvation

I am picturing a game of ‘Pin the Tail’
I am blindfolded
And some kind party guest takes me by the shoulders
And points me
Gently
In the right direction




No comments:

Post a Comment