Thursday, March 9, 2017

Over or Just Beginning*

A Homily on Jonah Chapter 4
Congregation = Cohort 14, Aquinas Institute;) 


My congregational exegesis tells me
That you remember how
the Word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai
Calling him to the exceedingly large
And exceedingly seedy
city of Ninevah
You remember how he went
The OTHER way
You know about the storm
And how it came to light that Jonah was to blame
and how the only answer was him going down down down into the sea

And you know of Jonah’s despair in the belly of that exceedingly great Fish
And how Jonah erupted in pious psalmnody

And you remember how God was there
How God ordained the storm
How God ordained the fish
And how God ordained that stomach

And I know
you remember
how the Word of the Lord came to Jonah yet again
And how Jonah finally went
Begrudgingly…certainly
Whispering…maybe…at least I think so
Wanting the Ninevites smashed to smithereens…absolutely!!!

He went
He went and he preached his 5-word sermon
And the people heard
The people heard God
And God relented at Ninevah’s exceedingly public display of sorrow and contrition

Do you remember though
How all along this kinda crazy tale
there is no shred of evidence…no convincing movement in Jonah at all

He has good creed…
I am a Hebrew, he proclaims…
He knows perfectly the Yahweh of the Exodus
The one who is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and steadfast in love
He has this down pat
He has good creed

But his praxis…

That’s Jonah

But chapter 4
I think that’s where things get interesting

the stubbornness
the drama
the re-iterated Sylvia Plath death wish

In the end
We are left with a Jonah
Stuck in his anger
A tantrum throwing Jonah
who refuses to respond to God’s provoking:

“Deal with this Jonah!
Fess up
I know you want the NINEVITES to DIE!
Come clean
So we can move on!”

He Doesn’t
The Book of Jonah
Has a NON-ENDING
The book is left open
Unfinished


The word of the lord came to Jonah
And the word of the Lord came to Jonah again

I don’t know
Did it?
Did it…really?


In the Joy of the Gospel
We hear that God speaks to us
The Lord wants to make use of us preachers
We are living, free and creative beings…
We are perfect for preaching
We are creative beings who let God’s word enter deep into our own hearts
WE do that so. That. We. Can. pass it on to others. 
The word Francis uses is POSSESSION
We are to be preachers POSSESSED
Christ’s message must truly penetrate and POSSESS the whole of us,
not just intellectually but in our entire being. 
The Holy Spirit calls to us
“ALLOW ME to POSSESS you!!!“



I’ve heard a fair number of ‘call’ stories
(I’ve even made up a few of my own)

I bet Jonah tells a good one
I’ll bet it is good and well practiced

Me?
I’m Jonah
I’ve been called by God
To preach God’s Justice
(notice I didn’t say MERCY)
Funny you should ask
It happened one day
I was just relaxing under the shade of a sturdy Gourd
You know
Come to think of it
That was a sign too
those gourds that have those really big leaves
They are kinda rare around these parts
But there it was
Popping up FOR ME…like a portable ceiling fan
Doing exactly what I needed it to do
Keeping me comfortable while God ‘called’ me by name
It felt sooooo good
Being called and cared for like that

Was I scared?  Well sure
…I suppose…a little anyway…
But I could tell…I just knew somehow…
Me…and God
We were on the same page
You know the ole sayings
'two peas in a pod'
‘great minds think alike ’ and all


I bet Jonah told a good one
A good and sturdy call story

I don’t know about you
But I get a little suspicious
When the call stories are so tidy
If you think about it
Who really ought to tell the call story anyway
Wouldn’t you like to hear God’s side of that story!

Here is how I see it:

What I see is that when Jonah thought the story was over
…it was only just beginning

In the Bible there are 4 chapters to the Book of Jonah
But there IS a chapter 5
There is always a chapter 5
maybe there are even MANY chapter 5's

And I see
that what we have here is a grammar problem
A problem of tense usage
Did the word of the Lord Come to Jonah?
Or Kurt or Charlie or Honora?
Did God call Jonah? Or Ian or Heidi or Ray?

Or is the Word of the Lord coming
Is it always Coming
Is God always calling
“Allow me to possess you!!!”

Some days
Some weeks
Some months…maybe even some years
We might be too OTHERWISE possessed
by busy-ness
by feelings of unfruitfulness
Too Possessed by frustration with the dimwitted and stoneyhearted people of God
Too possessed by our neat and tidy call stories

Too DIS-possessed

Sometimes
When we think the story is over
…it is really just beginning

The Book of Jonah isn’t really a story about Jonah…is it?
It seems to me to be a much better story about God
As a God-Story it really is a great tale for sustaining the Preaching Life

However stubborn Jonah is…
However…Pouty, Dramatic, Angry beyond comprehension, 
however Truly unlikable
God WILL outlast him
God never gives up on Jonah

God keeps sending his word
He keeps asking the question
He keeps offering mercy and understanding

That is comforting!
SURELY
If God does it for Jonah
…well surely!!!

Did the Word of the Lord come to Jonah?
We must watch our tenses
The Word of the Lord didn’t come
It didn’t just come to Jonah
It didn’t just come to me, or Ben, or Lou
It is coming
It is always coming
BECAUSE
Preaching is a present tense activity

My friends
God SIMPLY will not be outdone in steadfastness
That is the Grace I name

And I say
In the name of all us preachers

Thanks. Be. To. God.

No comments:

Post a Comment