Sunday, November 19, 2017

Ouch Again!

33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
1 Thessalonians 5:1-6
Matthew 25:14-30 The Parable of the Talents


Ouch again!
Wailing and gnashing of teeth…so harsh!

Matthew’s gospel is ANGRY
(A tough Gospel for tough times;)
Tough on hypocrisy
Tough on the Pharisees
Tough on false believers
Tough on those who make life even more difficult for the powerless

But also
The gospel that gives us the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes

This parable is not about what I am good at
And not about money

It is tough talk in the face of an oppressive power
and nobody gives up power without a fight

The Master doles out opportunities
The question is
What do we do with them?
Every day
Opportunities arise for me to see
What I do
What I say
How I am…in my being
As opportunities to ‘speak a word’

What is my percentage?
How many of those opportunities do I bury?
How many do I bring my full self to in faith, hope and love?

These harsh Matthean judgment texts
Remind us that they matter
Those missed opportunities matter
They add up
And collectively
Imagine how much they might weigh

Being a good and faithful servant
Means not wasting them

And Paul seems to think that staying sober and alert
will make us better at this ‘no-wasting’ business











No comments:

Post a Comment