Monday, November 27, 2017

...the quality of my Love


THE SOLEMNITY OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
KING OF THE UNIVERSE 
(a day late...but still in God's time;)

Matthew 25:31-46



This piece of Matthew 25 demands that our loving get concrete...that it take on substance.  In my work as a chaplain in the hospital this demand for concreteness often reared its head and caught many a patient by frightened surprise.  But it also gave many great comfort.  

I wonder if we ever know for sure how the quality of our love measures up?  There can't be such a thing as an A+...a grade we can become satisfied with and rest in with complete confidence. We can rest in the humility though...I think. (notice the hesitation;)  

At the end of each day, when my head hits the pillow, that is when my honesty before God needs to kick in.  

Where did I see you today?  
Where was I blind to your suffering?   
What was the quality of my love*...today?  

And then a holy rest.  And, God willing, another chance tomorrow!

*a phrase that grabbed me from Bishop Barron's daily meditation that finds its way into my inbox;)

No comments:

Post a Comment