Saturday, September 26, 2015

A Changed Tune

Saturday of Week 25 in Ordinary Time
Saints Cosmas and Damian 

Canticle

So the Prophet Jeremiah has spent his whole life trying to be heard.  He predicts (with a little help from God) the destruction of Jerusalem and tries AT LENGTH to get the people's attention.  Times were good.  And when times are good we humans tend to think we can do it all alone…Thanks God.  You've been mighty helpful.  But I think we can take it from here.  Bad move.

The canticle today is from Chapter 31.  And Jeremiah is offering hope to the remnant in Jerusalem.  I love that he doesn't do too much "I told you so."  The Lord gathers and guards and blesses.  The Lord will console and gladden them after their sorrows.

The hope-filled chapters stand out against all the warnings and destruction.

When I am in the midst of those sorrows…
Or  when someone I love is there…
It is the Lord at work gathering, and guarding, and blessing that I long to experience
or to incarnate.

…but not with words
…words don't stand out

No comments:

Post a Comment