Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Yes…But...

Wednesday of Week 24
Saints Cornelius, Pope, and Cyprian, Bishop, Martyrs

Luke's story visits the relationship between John and Jesus and pretty well surmises that they make a good tag team.  They are different but that isn't a problem for those who are genuinely seeking to understand.  

That doesn't describe the crowds in today's passage.  They seem to want only to play "over-against."  They prefer "lose-lose."  John starved himself and hung out in the desert…loser.  Jesus eats and drinks plenty…loser too.  

These people!  A bunch of whiners!

When the gospel offers such round characters I figure I'm supposed to find myself in them whether I want to or not.  In CPE I learned about the game "Yes…But."  It describes a conversation one might have with a friend/patient when every offering you make is responded to by "Yes…But."  It is a trap.  There is no winning.  What is missing is an attitude open to being pleased.

May I be open to being pleased, and surprised by joy!
Leave the but behind…stick with the yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment