Friday, September 25, 2015

THE Question

Friday of Week 25 in Ordinary Time

These few verses offer the perennial discipleship question, Who do you say that I am?


The easy answers that roll off the tongue are always dissatisfying.  One day I think I have a good answer…one I believe with every fiber of my being.  And then, its gone and I feel unmoored.  Compared to the Marcan version, Peter gets off easy!  None of that "Get behind me Satan" rebuking.


But oddly, it is Peter and his not-quite-right understanding that consoles me when my own answers are thin.  In his address to Congress yesterday, Francis brought four personalities together to paint a picture of the visionary life.  The vision is so big and broad and beautiful.  There is room for everyone.  I pray to find my place in the caravan that is leading somewhere real and full of ultimate meaning.  And I am convinced that it will be my own wrestling with that question, over and over again, that will prod me along the way.


Abe, and Martin, and Dorothy and Thomas…Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment