Monday, September 21, 2015

MERCY + JOY

Monday of Week 25 in Ordinary Time
Feast of St. Matthew, Apostle, Evangelist

"Go and learn the meaning of the words I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

Only in Matthew's gospel is the tax collector named.  Jesus calls Matthew and then defends his meal sharing with tax collectors and sinners.  Only in Matthew's gospel is this accompanied with reference to Hosea 6:6, I desire mercy, not sacrifice.  

Learning the meaning of the words is not as easy as it sounds.  I think mercy is easily cheapened.  It can get confused with a shallow "I'm sorry, you're forgiven" transaction.  But the call to mercy is an entire ethos.  It calls for my investment in the pain and struggle of the whole world.  Not to add burden to me but to lessen the WHOLE burden.  To the extent that I cultivate joy, I can invest more and more.  Without the joy…it is just sacrifice…just beans swapped from one side to another.  

Mercy and Joy.
Mercy and Joy.
Mercy and Joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment