Monday, October 24, 2016

Close Enough to Touch

Monday of Week 30 in Ordinary Time
Ephesian 4:32-5:8


Be kind and forgiving.
Be imitators of God.
Live in love.

It was a day to clean off my desk and surrounding areas.  There is a sacramental relationship between the clarity of my mind and the clutteredness of my desktop!  

While organizing I came across a sticky note where I had written:

The best preparation for loving the world at large,
and loving it wisely,
is to cultivate an intimate friendship 
and affection
towards those who are immediately about us
         I typed it into my search bar to find out who wrote it. 
                          -Blessed John Henry Newman

Loving the Whole World is too abstract 
too impossible
unless it grows out of the real and concrete
particulars of my life.

I have a particular calling
At a particular moment in history
In a particular place
And beginning with particular people
close enough to touch

Gods desire for the world
And my small part in that
Begins operating
Particularly





No comments:

Post a Comment