Monday, October 10, 2016

Responding to the Prophetic

Monday of Week 28 in Ordinary Time
Luke 11:29-32


So we have heard about the Lord’s Prayer and then the exorcism of the mute demon at the beginning of chapter 11.  Time for some prophetic warnings.

I have to chuckle.  Today is my husband’s birthday and I just sent him a message giving thanks for Margie and Guerin (my in-laws), who together collaborated, generating the womb that carried him;)  I guess that might be appropriate for Rob.  Not so for Jesus!

It sounds like Jesus has had enough of admiration.  It is easy to give and even easier to receive.  But there is nothing easy about hearing and keeping God’s word!  He is coming down hard on the crowd that is pressing in on him.  Are they drunk on the spectacular…the healing and the signs?  Jesus compares them unfavorably with non-Israelites of the biblical story!  Jonah was a prophetic preacher, a sign to to the Ninevites.  And Jesus is a sign to this generation…a sign that demands a response way beyond admiration.

Admiration doesn’t cut it. 
I have to figure out how to generate something else.
Change…Conversion…anything that will help me hear that word…




No comments:

Post a Comment