Wednesday, October 5, 2016

What If?*

Monday of Week 27 in Ordinary Time
Mid-Morning Prayer - Cohort 14 - Aquinas Institute
Psalm 71
A Reading from St. Ambrose (Office of Readings)


Lord, open my lips
R/ And my mouth will proclaim your praise

I like to imagine that our relationship with words began
From the beginning
with the first ones ever to hit our ears
I like to imagine a new mother,
Exhausted after a long labor,
Whispering…“You are beautiful”

From the very beginning
Biblical imagery speaks IN and OF the creative power of words
Especially in the psalms and proverbs
Where we hear over and over
of the power of what is formed in the mouth
crafted by the tongue
and passes over the lips…to whatever ears may be listening
and half the time these biblical words give a stern warning…
Words cut both ways

St. Ambrose
Compels us to pray often
But…also warns
don’t let it get tedious
Let your words and prayer be imbued with forgiveness
It sounds like that might be his antidote for tedium.

Two thoughts about words have been occupying me this week
1) The conjuring power of Words
And
2) The mysterious power of words detached from the speaker’s  control

My husband always teases me about my favorite word
Every time we go to a restaurant and there is something on the menu
With Prosciutto
I have to order it
One reason is because I love the salty deliciousness
But the other is that I just want to say it
Prosciutto
Prosciutto
Prosciutto
It is such a fun word
The mouth and the tongue have to collaborate in its formation
And then the ticklish joy of how it rolls over my lips

But there is so much more.
When I was 23
freshly graduated from college
And waiting for my job to begin in Atlanta
I found myself with two weeks of free time
My sister and I desperately wanted to go to Italy
And we were both desperately broke
We hatched a plan
My Dad travelled so much for his work
That he had racked up a vault of Frequent Flyer Miles
So we would go to Dad and say
Dad, the last thing you’d want to do on your free time is get on another plane…right?
How bout we help take some of those FF miles off your hands
…in 1983 they were transferable;)
Of course he obliged…on one condition
“You must visit Corinaldo”

Corinaldo
Was this mythic place of origin for the Bavaria family
a small town in the region of Marche
Where both my grandparents were from

Corinaldo is the town of Santa Maria Goretti
Who, legend says, babysat for my Mommom
St. Maria held special prominence in our family’s collective Catholic imagination.

It was a deal.
Celeste and I rented a car and eventually drove from Rome to Corinaldo.
As we approached we saw the small medieval walled town
Atop this rolling hill
There was a lively welcome
Clearly Dad had given them advance notice
And my cousin Timo and his wife, Maria Paulo
Took us to their home where we would stay.
We crossed through the kitchen
And in the middle of their old wooden kitchen table
Was this large prosciutto
And stuck in the middle was a carving knife and fork
The prosciutto was there,
standing ready to meet the needs of tall who passed by
Day or night

So when I see or hear the word prosciutto
Not only do I think of salty deliciousness
But of Corinaldo
And ancient stone walls
I remember the grotto to Santa Maria Goretti
I remember cousins and family with whom I have no language in common

And it all becomes present again
A fresh gift of
nourishment, family, heritage, faith

when I hear the word Prosciutto
Or see it on a menu
What happens to me is
Anamnesis

The conjuring power of PROSCIUTTO!


My mother in law…I called her Mimi
Everyone called her Mimi
Was especially devoted to the Blessed Mother
Her own mother died when she was just a girl
And from then she took on an early motherly role
As she cared for her younger brother and father

She prayed the rosary every night
Since anyone could remember
How my father in law loved to tell the
Wedding Night Rosary Story;)

She died in 1993 from Supra-Nuclear Palsy
A degenerative neurological Disease
Most devastating for the slowness of its progression
The first thing to be affected was language
And speech
So, she might want to say banana
But it would come out as yogurt
Or bathroom and it would come out closet

But every night when Deedee
Pulled out their matching rosaries
And began the prayers
She followed
Without a hitch…not missing a word

I had seen her devotion to the Rosary as admirable
A wonderful pious habit that structured her life

I saw it that way
Until she lost control of her speech

Then, her prayer
Become something else entirely

Now I wondered
Who is speaking?
What is this testimony?
Where is it coming from?
Who is it for?
Could it be for me???

She was testifying to a life of prayer
NOT a perfect life
She was a tough lady
Controlling and difficult
But she WAS faithful
And as she prayed those last years
Those prayers were the only words that communicated
They came from her heart, her muscle, her spirit
From everywhere except her brain
Which
would have scrambled them all up
had it the chance

There is a mysterious life to words way after they leave the speaker.

Words are powerful
And they are most certainly a double-edged sword
They may reflect life or death
Or they may be safe and passionless and blah

For this preacher this is not just challenging
It is frightening!

But WHAT IF
What if our words of worship and praise and proclamation and preaching
What if all of our God-Talk
Came from our gut, and heart, and body….and mind?
WHAT IF
What if all that talk
All those words
conjured a palpable story deep within us?
WHAT IF
And what if that story is none other than our
simple story of falling in love with God
Our Exodus story
about how God
Reached out and took us by the hand
How God set us free…
A real love story,
not all sweetness and light
But a paschal story
urgent AND forgiving
A story that goes through crosses
And touches resurrection

A story made present in our preaching and living
Over and over again?


WHAT IF…

No comments:

Post a Comment