Thursday, April 20, 2017

S L O W T I M E

Easter Thursday
Martin Buber


I spent ALL day yesterday with a few dear friends.
Such a luxury.
But then again…not really.
I only think of it as a luxury because I have forgotten
I have forgotten that it takes slow time 
to build and sustain life giving relationships. 
Why do I keep thinking that a luxury?
Why? 
What are all those tasks that I have allowed to supplant this one?
I am, I think, suffering from a kind anemia of what sustains joy
And at the same time…polycythemia
(what you get when you google ‘the opposite of anemia’)
of what in fact pick-pockets joy

What is UP with that?

Martin Buber reminds me of this on Easter - Day 5:

After the maggid’s death, 
his disciples came together 
and talked about the things he had done.  
When it was Rabbi Schneur Zalman’s turn, 
he asked them: 
“Do you know why our master 
went to the pond every day at dawn 
and stayed there for a little while 
before coming home again?”* 

They did not know why.

Rabbi Zalman continued: 
“He was learning the song 
with which the frogs praise God.  
It takes a very long time to learn that song.”

slow time 
There is such a thing.




*As referenced in Easter, A Sourcebook, edited by Gabe Huck, Gail Ramshaw, Gordon Lathrop, p18, from ‘Tales of the Hasidim, The Early Masters’ by Martin Buber, translated by Olga Marx Perzweig, 1947

No comments:

Post a Comment