Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Cease & Learn

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20
Cease doing evil; learn to do good
Make Justice your aim: redress the wronged,
Hear the orphan’s plea, defend the widow
Matthew 23:1-12
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
But do not follow their example

The term “integrated” comes to mind. 

But it isn’t that easy.  I like to believe myself a wonderfully integrated person of faith.  It isn’t until I take the time to reflect honestly that I begin to catch the rift between my words and deeds.  Isaiah is on to something when he calls for the ceasing and the learning in the same thought.  The ceasing makes space.  The learning fills it.

I find myself loving the learning…and ignoring the ceasing!  That way I can spit shine my speech without any real change.  I simply haven’t made new room in my heart.  And without real intention I slowly begin to resemble the lengthy tasseled Pharisees in today’s gospel. 

I understand discipline when it comes to diet and exercise.  But the discipline of self-reflection is harder for me latch on to.  May this Lent be fertile time for both the ceasing and the learning.




No comments:

Post a Comment