Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What Sort of Fast?

ASH WEDNESDAY
Isaiah 58:6-8

Is not this the sort of fast that pleases me
– it is the Lord who speaks –
to break unjust fetters and
undo the thongs of the yoke,

to let the oppressed go free,
and break every yoke,
to share your bread with the hungry,
and shelter the homeless poor,

I need an imaginative understanding of fasting and praying and almsgiving. Imaginative and complete. Somehow my Lenten practices must come to be in response to the gift of my life. It can't be a simple matter of "taming the will" for the challenge of it as Fr. Godfrey preached tonight. It has to be for the sake of the kingdom...for the sake of another...for the sake of the world.

It will be beautiful and perhaps even contagious!
A holy Lent...
It has been a while...
This is the year...

"Be with me Lord,
When I am in trouble
Be with me Lord, I pray"
Psalm 91

No comments:

Post a Comment