Sunday, February 7, 2016

Transfiguration*



Last Epiphany – Revised Common Lectionary
(Homily shared at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Evansville,  Indiana...audio not from live delivery)

The only beets I had ever eaten
Until a couple of years ago
Were the ones my mother served
the pickled kind…that came from a jar
and since we weren’t farmers or big gardeners
I’d never seen a raw beet
In fact
I thought that beets were red because of the pickling juices
So when I wanted to make this new recipe
And I went to the grocery to buy my first bunch of beets
It was strange
You know…they’re so ugly and dirty…
Certainly nothing to look at  

But I had this new recipe…
And now I had my first bunch of beets
With my sharp paring knife in hand
I began to peel and slice
And…I was…totally surprised
It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that I was dazzled
by the rich, and exploding redness
I remember calling the kids to the kitchen
“Right here…Right here is proof that God exists!”
to me…It was that dazzling

People can move me this way too
In the hospital
One of the things I have to watch for
Is becoming wooden…detached from myself and from my work
And while I KNOW that
No two patients are alike
No two calls to the emergency room are alike
I’m no always able to hold on to that

When I do catch myself being wooden
It’s usually because I have been…well…dazzled
By Another person’s faith
And I don’t mean some shallow Pollyanna faith
But a real ABIDING and STURDY and GROUNDING faith
In the midst of overwhelming difficulty or even trauma

I count both of these as glimpses…
A sort of preview of the Kingdom
They are "shots in the arm"
fuel  for my own transfiguration


With texts like our Gospel today…the Transfiguration
I find that I have two different impulses to fight
The 1st is my:
hyper-critical 21st century scientific-literalist side 
that wants to know…what…exactly…happened on that mountain
I want the facts
and the 2nd is:
my cynical side that wants to dismiss it out right 
as too outrageous to have anything    
to say to me ...today
...and neither of these are very fruitful

In order to derail those impulses
I need to find a way to enter the story
So I can get a view from within the scene
But before that
I have to take in the setting…the context

It is Year C
We are in Luke
Luke is THE master storyteller
He writes later than Mark and Matthew
Toward the end of the 1st Century
His purpose is to encourage the faith and hope
of the reading & hearing community
And that includes all of us

Luke emphasizes the role of prayer and the Holy Spirit
In a much much bigger way than the other Gospels
The 2nd coming hasn’t materialized and
Emphasizing the Holy Spirit and Prayer
Makes perfect sense
Because it is clear now
that Christians are in this for the long haul
And the Holy Spirit and prayer
are answers to long-haul needs

We have been long-hauling ever since!

This story of the transfiguration
Is here to help us
For the long-haul!

When I’m looking for a way into a scene
I’m always glad to see Peter
Impulsive Peter
Peter…prone to putting his foot in his mouth
I can relate to him
So I’m going in as Peter

I don’t know how he does it
Praying ALL night
James and John and I
We couldn’t keep our eyes open

But thanks be to God
I was able to be just enough WITH IT
to catch Moses and Elijah…I mean Rock Stars!
The conversation was a bit odd
A little above my pay grade

But ROCKSTARS
WOW

And… shoot
What would you have done?
Two of the all time GREATS
Two of the figures that have taught me
almost everything I know about God

It sounds dumb now
But in the moment
I really thought it was a good idea
-Let’s nail this thing down
-Let’s build something
-Like a new chapel
-I’m good with a hammer!
-I could at least get an autograph
But before I could hatch a plan

There I was
engulfed in a cloud
And…well…biblically anyway
Clouds are fearsome omens
Clouds = Straight up terror

The surprising thing…
It wasn’t like that at all
There was this voice
This loving, gentle, guiding voice
-No commandments
-No new litany of laws
-No long ritual how-to’s

Just
LISTEN
LISTEN TO HIM
HE IS CHOSEN
HE
Not Moses
Not Elijah
Look around
They are gone
LISTEN
LISTEN TO HIM

Well he didn’t have to even say
Not to tell anyone what happened
I didn’t KNOW what happened

All I knew is that it was a dazzling glimpse of glory
A kind of shot in the arm

And that it was
NOT fearsome
…It was totally new in some way
That’s why it was so confusing                                                                                                                    

Now we have an advantage over Peter
We know the end of the story
We know about another mountain
Golgatha
and
loving surrender and forgiveness
from the cross

What Peter saw
Was a continuous line of GREATS!
Moses, Elijah and now Jesus
Let’s make three tents
But the text invites us into a contrast not a continuum

We know about Moses
He’s the law-giver
The Law that hoped to make a people from the outside-in
That’s how laws work

And Elijah
Well…The most famous story about Elijah
From 1 Kings
Is about the time he showed up the priests of Baal
at the Mt Carmel God competition
Both sides set up altars
And the one spontaneously consumed by fire
Well that would be a clear indication that the true God
Is on their side
Elijah even throws a bucket of water on his altar
That is how confident he was in Yahweh
And Yahweh came out on top…no surprise there
We stop right there
But Peter surely remembered
the climax of the story in the next line
Elijah commanded
“Seize the prophets of Baal; do not let one of them escape.”
Then they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the River,
And killed them there… (all 450 of them).

NO doubt Elijah THOUGHT that he was pleasing God
But the ancient texts of the Bible
Are what some scripture scholars call
Texts in Travail
They are texts about God…yes
But more importantly they are texts about us
About human beings slowly slowly working out
This mysterious relationship between God and God’s People…Us

I think that’s what Jesus
Was doing for Peter, and James and John
He was bringing their attention to their deep-seeded notions of God
So that those notions might be TRANSFIGURED

Because the God that Jesus has come to reveal
Doesn’t fit into that same box
The God who Jesus reveals
WILL go to the cross
WITH love and forgiveness
for those who brought him there
And that action puts and end to cycles of violence and revenge
At least those done
in the name of God…the God Jesus came to reveal

That doesn’t mean that we won’t keep trying to
Use God’s name to justify our violence
That is everywhere
…But we just can’t get away with it for very long!
Not if we are Christian

So here we are
A week before Lent
And the opening prayer this morning
Gives us some real guidance about the direction of this liturgy
The prayer asked
“that we may be strengthened to bear our cross,
so that we may be changed into his likeness”
strengthened and changed

And isn’t that what we all need?
Don’t we all need to check our notions of God?
Isn’t it ever so easy to slip God into a figure of our own making…
Probably one that justifies our own choices and actions…

Luke knew about this human tendency
And the church knows too
…we know
That’s why we have Lent
Because my guess is that
Idolatry creeps up on us all

Peter was given a dazzling shot in the arm…a preview if you will
Fuel for the intense journey toward Jerusalem

So like my beets
And the abiding faith I sometimes encounter in the hospital
this episode on the mountain
offered a shot in the arm to to Peter, James and John
As it does for us today
It jolts us a little
…toward a kind of realignment
A gentle push to our own ongoing transfiguration


Here we are
gathered
To LISTEN TO HIM
To strengthen and grow
Individually and as a community of faith

We are here…in a way...to be dazzled

Dazzled by…The one God of love revealed to us
In the life death and resurrection of Christ

Dazzled By…The one God who invites us
To welcome transfiguration
Into His image and likeness

Dazzled By…The one God who comes to us as bread
So that we can be nourished
together
as we change and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment