Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Me? Babbling?

Tuesday of Week 5 in Ordinary Time 

I am sensing a kind of manipulation in Solomon’s long prayer…or perhaps a hesitation. 

Lord, God of Israel, no God comes close to you
In Heaven or on Earth (the pagan God’s are still competing)
But you keep your promises
All we have to do is be faithful
Right?
I built this Temple…but you decreed it?
That was you, you did say that?  (cindy interpretation)

In the verses that follow, Solomon seems to be laying some ground rules for God’s behavior.  We are going to mess up.  We are going to sin.  But all we have to do is come to this Temple with our petitions and offerings and you will listen…you will grant pardon.

The hesitation comes through…the statements sound more like questions.  And they do babble on if one reads the missing verses. Is Solomon convinced?

It is so human.  Chances are when I catch myself babbling on, I’ll be telling myself what I want to hear.

Even the Psalmist babbles on a bit:
I’d rather be on the front stoop of your house
Than warm and toasty in the house of a lesser God
Yep! I’d be just praising and praising!  (cindy interprets again)

I think silence is a better indication of real communication with God.  I can’t really get confused about who is talking if I’m quiet.

A good thought to hold on to…starting tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment