Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Don't Excise Anna

The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord

I love this Lucan passage!  There is the Canticle of Simeon, which has been chanted at compline since around 1552, the Lucan theme of universality, and the typical Lucan diptych of Man and Woman.  

And because I have been pondering this "passing-on" business (as in passing on faith, not death;) I am drawn to the narration of a family grounded in a deep tradition that gives bones and sturdiness to this life.  I love the contrast between Simeon and Anna.  Simeon notices, pronounces, and gives prophesy.  Anna gives thanks and begins to preach "to all who were awaiting." Two different responses to a revelation.  

It isn't constant...but I have Anna-Simeon moments.  What is my response to the recognition of Christ in my life or of my life in Christ's?  Or a recognition of Christ present in my neighbor, in the stranger, in creation...how about then?   

I want to make those times food-energy for my own discipleship.  But I can't just store it up.  It has a shelf-life;)

But the not-cool thing is that the lectionary gives the option to leave out the Anna part!  Luke gives us so many details about her...clearly a sign that she is to be paid attention to!  I try not to get too upset about these things but those couple of verses are simply vital to the episode...and already too many voices of biblical women are excised!  Don't excise her!



No comments:

Post a Comment