Thursday, April 21, 2016

"AS IS"

It is Day 33 
Thursday of the 5th Week of Easter
John 13:16-20

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.13:20

The foot washing is complete.  The morsel that will evidence the betrayer among them will follow.  What is breathtaking for me is that Jesus, who knows his chosen, knows their ignorance and fragility, is a bit 'let it be' about all the imperfection.

He has chosen them and he dares to send them out, "AS IS"!  What he seems to know is that in community our misguidedness will get corrected.  The promise of the Holy Spirit (Paraclete in John) will surely not allow all to be misguided at the same time! The desire to be perfect doesn't change the "AS IS" status. "AS IS" appears to be sufficient to be sent, to be received and to icon the presence of Christ.

I am sent "AS IS," which, is enough. But which, in faith, is always open to the correction of the community animated by the Holy Spirit. There is no room in the Christian life for the lone ranger.  

But it would be easier.  
Community is so messy and demanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment