Tuesday, April 5, 2016

IN or OUT

Tuesday of the Second Week of Easter

NICODEMUS...a character investigation
Found only in John
In 3:1-10
He visits at night
He gets a private tutorial
In 7:51
He sorta-kinda mildly hints that the religious powers-that-be just might be overstepping with their zealousness to kill Jesus
In 19:39
He brings 100 pounds of COSTLY myrrh and aloes for anointing Jesus’ body

He’s tentative.  He doesn’t want everyone at the office to know that he’s drawn to this man Jesusto his life and his teaching.  He is unwilling to commit social-suicide.  He has a lot to lose.  He steps into the water one toe at a time.  Even the costly perfumed oil smacks a little of a guilt-payment.

Nicodemus is not all wrapped up in John’s Gospel.  The jury is still out. 

I am an heir to Nicodemus. 
I misunderstand
I hold my tongue
I stay comfortable


No judgment from me.  It is challenging.

*the lectionary wants to highlight the "born from above part" that Nicodemus misunderstands;)  But I don't think the whole pericope ever shows up in the Sunday lectionary so...

No comments:

Post a Comment