Thursday, April 28, 2016

μένω

Thursday of the 5th Week of Eastertide

John 15:9-11
Remain in my love.

The NRSV uses abide instead of remain to translate μένω.  Abide is for me so much deeper, and richer and more all-encompassing.  Remain seems to indicate that I will leave or perhaps enjoy a little coming and going…it is spatial.  But abide is different.  Abiding means that once I do, abide, whatever I abide in, is then a part of me.  It will go where I go.  Today, it sounds womb-like.  To abide in God’s love is to live, and breathe and move as one…
…covered by God’s womb-like protection
…fed by God’s womb-like ability to sustain and nourish
…reassured by God’s womb-like ability to absorb fear

Words are cool.

Acts 15:7-21
He (God) made no distinction between us and them.

And in this political climate wouldn’t it be nice to have conversations like those leading up to today’s resolution in Acts?  They disagreed.  They argued. They fought.  But their genuine honor of the other allowed for resolution. 


And in the end they all could agree...God made no distinctions regarding what a Christian ought to ‘look’ like.  If the Spirit confirms…well the Spirit confirms.

No comments:

Post a Comment