Sunday, April 3, 2016

Living With Questions

Second Sunday of Easter

I too would want to examine the flesh.  What if the others had missed something?  I have my own questions.  If I am to believe it must meet my own criteria.  I am no fool.

The story of Jesus’ resurrection must become real and fleshy and experience-able.  It is easy enough to see it in the lives of others…the addict who is returned to wholeness, the “black-sheep” of the family returned to the fold, the cancer…dare I say ‘cured,’ the broken marriage healed and given new life.  But the challenge is for me…right now!  What darkness in my life, what hidden dysfunction/pathos/sin have I been “locking behind doors in fear?”

This Easter story of risen-ness and new life must jump off the page and speak to me.  Call to me.  Challenge me.  Change me.  NOW!


I love this from the poet Rilke:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

--- Letters to a young poet

No comments:

Post a Comment