Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday Afternoon: I Surrender*

From: Deep Is The Hunger by Howard Thurman, 1979
(*found in A Sourcebook About Sunday, Compiled by Paul F. Ford, Mary Ellen Hynes, J. Michael Thompson, art by, Julie Lineman)

My ego is like a fortress.
I have built its walls stone by stone
to hold out the invasion of the love of God.
But I have stayed here long enough.
There is light
over the Barriers.  O My God-
The darkness of my house forgive
and overtake my soul.
I relax the barriers.
I abandon all that I think I am,
all that I hope to be,
all that I believe I possess.
I let go of the past,
I withdraw my grasping hand from the future,
and in the great silence of this moment,
I alertly rest my soul.
as the sea gull lays in the wind current,
So I lay myself in the spirit of God.
My dearest human relationships,
My most precious dreams,
I surrender to His care.
All that I have called my own 
I give back.  All my favorite things
Which I would withhold in my storehouse
from his fearful tyranny,
I let go.
I give myself 
Unto thee, O my God.



No comments:

Post a Comment