Monday, July 11, 2016

Heads AND Tails

Feast of St. Benedict, Abbot
Monday of Week 15 in Ordinary Time

Matthew 10:34-11:1
I have come to bring not peace but the sword

This is a tough text for me to wrap my head around.  I chalk it up to the particular context when Matthew’s gospel was written.  In the nascent post resurrection community there were real ruptures happening in families as some Jews continued following “the way” when it became apparent that to do so would separate one from the Synagogue community.  There was painfully real “setting against” going on.

It is easy to belong to a group/club/organization that makes no demands.  What does my belonging to the Christian Community demand of me?  My very claim of being a disciple means that I am “set for” the gospel/love/mercy etc.  That’s the “heads” part of the coin.  But there is a “tails.” Perhaps the “tails” is anything that subtly or not-so-subtly gets in the way.  The onus is on me to name the “tails.” 

But I am allowed to ask for help;)
St. Benedict, the master of community living, pray for me.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment