Monday, July 25, 2016

Who Doesn't Want to be First?

Feast of St. James
Matthew 20:20-28
“whoever wishes to be great among you 
shall be your servant”




Am I laughing at our Gospel reading today?

The first funny thing to note is that Matthew ‘cleans up’ Mark’s telling a bit.  Having such dimwitted disciples  made him a bit uncomfortable. He does this by having the mother of Zebedee’s sons make that audacious request:
“Command that these two sons of mine to sit,
one at your right and the other at your left”
Do I hear ‘helicopter Mom”?

…They spoke for themselves in the Markan version. 

And then Jesus seeks to help them understand.  You must drink the cup.  No, it is NOT the cup of the Heavenly Banquet (he knows what they are thinking).  It is the cup of suffering.  This drinking is the culmination of the life of a servant.  There is no first.  There is no ‘best seat in the house.’  At least that is how I read it. 

I think we are genetically pre-disposed to pecking-order thinking.  Even the most humble words meant to undo that mindset (like diakonos) we turn into honor-laden titles.

I am remembering a funny quip:

Early one morning
The Prior walks by the Abbot at prayer
He watches and witnesses as the Abbot beats his breast saying:
I am nothing, I am nothing

Later that day
The woman from the village who helps in the kitchen
Walks by the Prior at prayer
She watches and witnesses as the Prior beats his breast saying:
I am nothing, I am nothing

The next morning
The Abbot and the Prior walk by the woman at prayer
They watch and witness as the woman beats her breast saying:
I am nothing, I am nothing

The Prior says to the Abbot:
Look who thinks she’s nothing;)

It is funny because I can relate.  I can make anything (even prayer and piety;) into a competition…


But the Gospel calls me to leave that behind.
And instead to try making a habit of
  Drinking the cup
  Of being last
  Of being a servant
That’s the recipe the Gospel gives
For reforming the cultural DNA that keeps telling me that life is a competition

No comments:

Post a Comment