Sunday, July 17, 2016

Martha AND Mary

16th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Luke 10:38-42



 “…A WOMAN NAMED MARTHA WELCOMED HIM INTO HER HOME…”

I want to welcome you
Into my home…yes
That I am good at
But more
Not just my physical surroundings
But the ALL of me
My thinking
My acting
My prayer
It might entail a little re-arranging;)
I’m ready
I hope
…be gentle…

“…SHE HAD A SISTER NAMED MARY, WHO SAT AT THE LORD’S FEET AND LISTENED TO WHAT HE WAS SAYING…”

Sisters!
Sisters are meant to be together
Siblings, families, friends
Not one versus the other
In conflict or competition
But bringing our unique gifts to bear on shared problems
…and shared concerns
Teach me to balance the eager do-er in me
With the listening learner
That being grounded in something other than myself
Will give fire and energy to my doing

 “…BUT MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED…”

There is always a ‘but’
A glitch
A hurdle
I think it is my over developed ‘Martha’
Busyness…it can be an addiction
Maybe my new distraction
Could be “Mary-Moments”
They are there to be had
Welcome them

“…THERE IS NEED FOR ONLY ONE THING…”

Sounds so simple
There may very well be only one thing at the top of the list
But the secondary ones
Are legion!
And they are loud!
They are pushy
They crowd out that one thing!
Keep rooted
Keep tethered
Stay in relationship

”…MARY HAS CHOSEN THE BETTER PART…”

So here I am
Giving you space and time
I visualize your feet
And your voice
I am quiet
I am listening
I am receptive



No comments:

Post a Comment