Sunday, July 3, 2016

Paul Says...

14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Brothers and sisters:
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
through which the world has been crucified to me,
and I to the world.
For neither does circumcision mean anything, nor does uncircumcision,
but only a new creation.
Peace and mercy be to all who follow this rule
and to the Israel of God.
From now on, let no one make troubles for me;
for I bear the marks of Jesus on my body.
Galatians 6:14-17


Sometimes Paul says the most outrageous things!
The salient phrase...from where I am sitting this morning is:
new creation

Whatever is past,
Whatever the marks left on us
     from an old self we would rather leave behind,
Whatever random violence we have participated in
     …along with the scars we have left on ourselves   
     and on others

All that whatever
God can use in forging a new creation.

In my ministry at the hospital I am big on communicating a God of extreme empathy, mercy, slow to anger rich in kindness…and that is appropriate.  But Paul challenges me to a next step
…to be more than rebuked (see last Sunday) by God. 

Wrestling with God can be downright violent.
Wrestling with God leaves marks!
Not because of God but because of me!

A God who really cares about us will ultimately do everything he can to snap us out of the petulance, the arrogance, the deviousness, the timidity, the excuses that abort our becoming the radiant beings we are meant to be.*

There is no suffering-free Christian life.  
It will leave marks. 
That’s enough to wrestle with today.


*from Living the Lectionary-Links to Life and Literature, Year C, by Geoff Wood, Liturgy Training Publications, p90.

No comments:

Post a Comment