Sunday, July 10, 2016

Mercy...Not a Rationable Commodity

15th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Luke 10:25-37
“What must I do?”

The homilist at this mornings Mass gave me a lot to chew on.  When Catholics are asked about their favorite parable, Bishop Lynch stated, they overwhelmingly claim the Good Samaritan.

In the pew I shook my head in agreement.

But by the time he wrapped things up I wasn’t so sure anymore…I think that was his strategy!  Have I always liked it because I thought of myself as the Good Samaritan and everyone else as excuse-making passers-by?   Or at least if I’m not the Good Samaritan, surely I'm trying to be! 

How often do I try to rationalize down God-Like-Mercy to fit into something…you know…workable?  The thing that really struck home was the challenge to reflect on how easily I narrow Mercy when the reason someone is in such a mess is their own damn fault!  This relates to the victim in the story who, for Pete’s sake, travelled alone on a road everyone knew was fraught with dangerous thieves and criminals! What did he expect!

I was talking to a friend the other day who makes follow up visits to chronically ill patients in an effort to help patients comply with prescribed therapies and medicines.  The goal is to keep the patients from having to come to the ER with yet another acute episode caused by failure to comply.  It can be so frustrating!  What more could be done?

I am wondering now if the act of caring itself is mercy…period?  The other part of the story isn’t mine to know.  The GS just showed mercy.  He didn’t appear to be interested in how the traveller came to be in his predicament.  He didn’t have a need to measure future decisions in an effort to assess the effectiveness of his intervention.

What must I do?
Do mercy…just for the heck of it. 

Do it, and see what happens…to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment