Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Boost

The Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord
Luke 9:28-36


The synoptic Gospels all tell of the Transfiguration and as usual there are a few differences…those are the interesting places.

Luke is unique in offering the content of the conversation between Jesus, Moses, and Elijah.  Here is a place where translations can really lose some ‘umph’.  Many translations use ‘departure’ instead of ‘exodus’ and miss the movement of the word and its harkening to ‘passing over.’

Where to focus is always a problem for me with this text.  To focus on Jesus gets me into the fantastic.  Focusing on the disciples provides for me a word.  I think Luke is giving the bumbling disciples a little shot in the arm.  They have been unwilling to hear about suffering.  They get stuck there.  Perhaps this experience is the ‘food for the journey’…something to get them through the next part of the trek to Jerusalem and to the other side of this ‘Exodus.’ 

I know that I need ‘shots in the arm’ from time to time.

Today would be a good day…

No comments:

Post a Comment