Friday, August 12, 2016

Shame or Contrition?

Friday of Week 19 in Ordinary Time

I love this rich and vivid allegory.  The story of Israel is the story of a female baby, helpless and abandoned and left to die.  Her umbilical cord is uncut.  She is dirty, bloody, and un-pitied.  Enter God, stage left. God walks by and rescues her.  She is smothered by over-the-top God-attention!  She emerges as a rare beauty.

Trouble!  She is WOWED by her own beauty! 

Things turn south quickly:
-Idolatry
-Whoredom
-Not regular whoredom though…whoredom where the whore pays the Johns
-This is bad!

But God never abandons!  Punishment…hell yes!  But never abandonment!  (check out missing verses)

But what catches my attention today is verse 63:
…that you may be utterly silenced for shame when I pardon you for all you have done, says the Lord.

It reminds me of Romans 12:20.

No, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.

Somehow it is the experience of shame…un-literal burning coals…that saves.  Shame is not a good thing…right?  When I think of shame I think one person shaming another.  But this shame seems to come from within.  It appears to emerge after a well-placed mirror (held by God or St. Paul or a really really good friend) allows one to see oneself for real.  It sounds more like what I would call contrition…contrition of a very powerful sort.

This shame happens when I witness another expressing the love of God in such a way that my own response to God’s love falls pretty short.  My shame is a sign of my desire to close the gap between my insufficient response and the deeper response of another.

I need such others. 
I need a little more of that kind of shame.
But the word is a little too loaded in my cultural context…

Contrition it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment