Sunday, August 14, 2016

...a crack in everything

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time


The homilist at Saturday evening’s Mass began with a question:  What! Did you just say “Praise to you”?  Praise to you…to fire, division, and family ‘against-ness’?

We say it routinely, I think, because we believe that there is ‘good news’ somewhere in there;)

Right now, division appears to be the backdrop of many a day’s news.  And heaven knows that it seeps into family life stealthily.

With “Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship” in mind, I’m thinking today that the problem is not division.  Perhaps the problem is how/who I choose to be in response to the divisions that heat up near me.  I am reminded to engage charitably and respectfully.  I am called to a different kind of political engagement one not characterized by “partisan attacks, sound bites, and media hype.” (no.14)

I am also reminded of a line from Leonard Cohen:
There is a crack in everything, that is how the light gets in!
(Lyrics Anthem 1992)

May I be a participant in the light that gets into those divisive cracks…for the life of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment