Thursday, November 12, 2015

Getting Ahead

Thursday of Week 32 in Ordinary Time

When I am processing with/conversing with friends, family, people I meet in the hospital, I find myself using the phrase "…try not to get too ahead of yourself."  Come to think of it…I say this a lot.  That probably means that I need to hear it myself!  Projection?

It is so easy to "get ahead of myself."  In the middle of the night when sleep eludes me "racing ahead" can take me to all kinds of dark places where mundane worries can strangle my peace and the light of hope gets squeezed out in favor of fear.

This Lucan text, this apocalyptic text, is a response to the Pharisees' tendency to "get ahead of themselves."  If apocalypse means "unveiling"; what is Jesus unveiling?  It sounds a lot like "…now y’all don't go getting ahead of yourselves.  This kingdom that has you all worked up…its not like there’s a road map.”  It is among you…close at hand…within your reach.  Look for the light that brings hope out of darkness.  That's the clue for today.  

I so easily identify with those Pharisees!

On this Feast day of Saint Josaphat
A prayer for Christian Unity

"That all may be one" John 17:21


No comments:

Post a Comment