Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Heads AND Tails

Tuesday of Week 31

Paul seems to be addressing something that has been on my mind: balancing that practice of cultivating a space within…a space for Christ in me, with being in Christ among the great multitude.

The de-cluttering effort of mine, I’ll call heads. I focus on putting the stuff that occupies my heart into perspective.  The pearl is in the middle and it is large it is reserved for the most intimate relationship I have.  The one I have with God without whose attention I do not exist…God who called me into being.  I make a place for Christ in me.

And then there is tails.  This is my place-finding in the mystical body.  I am one part, one gifted part, of the body.  This fits the Pauline language of being in Christ. 

In v.3 Paul warns each one “not to think more highly of himself than he ought.”  Be sober…don’t get drunk on yourself!  Rein in the heads side.  Then he goes on to remind the saints of the tails side.  

It can be lonely having Christ in me without being in Christ…rubbing up next to all the other saints-in-the-making.  It is in the among where the antidote to too much heads calls for me (according to Paul) to love, anticipate, respect, not grow slack, be fervent, serve, rejoice, and be patient.  All these are done better in relationship with others!

Heads and Tails

On this election day
Flip-Flopping is good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment