Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Tale of Two Tidings

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent

Judges 13:2-7, 24-25
His wife was barren and had borne no children.  An angel of the Lord appears to the woman and said to her, "Though you are barren and have had no children, yet you will conceive and bear a son"
Luke 1:5-25
But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, because your prayer has been heard.  Your wife Elizabeth will bear a son, and you shall name him John"

These are stories of the birth of Samson and the birth of John.  Both of them are accompanied by angelic tidings.  And in both, the womb is one sacred and holy place.  The consecration of the child Samson begins in the womb.  And John will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother's womb.

When I allow myself to let go for a bit
when I breathe extra deeply
and let my shoulders drop
and if I happen to be attentive to God's presence
I experience a womb
a safe, warm, encompassing...being-in-God

A good prayer for today
to find some rest in that womb
and to be a womb for another
let it be so

No comments:

Post a Comment